Heathrow Airport Terminal 5
Heathrow Terminal 5 stands as the epitome of modern airport infrastructure, having opened its doors in 2008 at a staggering cost of £4 billion. Spanning five expansive floors, equivalent to the size of 50 football pitches, this cutting-edge terminal is exclusively utilized by British Airways and Iberia. Tailored to meet the diverse needs of travelers, Terminal 5 boasts a plethora of amenities, including an array of restaurants, upscale shops, convenient hotels, car hire services, comprehensive business facilities, secure parking options, and reliable bureaux de change services.
The inception of the terminal's design dates back to 1989, with official government planning permission granted in November 2001. A momentous occasion occurred on March 14, 2008, as Queen Elizabeth II ceremoniously inaugurated Terminal 5, paving the way for passenger operations commencing on March 27, 2008.
Today, Terminal 5 serves as a bustling hub, witnessing an impressive 32.1 million passengers annually, embarking on over 211,000 flights. Notably, all check-in desks are conveniently located on the top floor. Airlines have embraced the trend of self-service check-in desks, ensuring a streamlined experience for passengers. For those flying with participating airlines, dedicated airport staff will guide you to these desks, complete with their exclusive bag drop areas, enhancing the efficiency and convenience of your journey.
Fast Track Heathrow Airport
Choose your service
Fast Track Heathrow Airport
Choose your destination
WHAT CAN YOU FIND IN THE AIRPORT
Departures Information: Welcome to the Departures area, situated on the top floor of Terminal 5. To ensure a smooth travel experience, please adhere to the following timelines:
- Long-haul flights: Check-in closes 60 minutes before departure.
- Short-haul flights: Check-in closes 45 minutes before departure.
- Pass through security at least 35 minutes before your flight takes off.
- Be at the boarding gate a minimum of 20 minutes before your flight departs. Refer to the 'Boarding' section for additional details.
Our three-step process aims to simplify your journey through Terminal 5:
- Step: Obtain your boarding pass from one of our user-friendly self-service touchpoints if you haven't already.
- Step: If you have checked baggage, efficiently tag and drop it off at one of our convenient self-service bag drops.
- Step: Having completed Steps 1 and 2, proceed directly to the security checkpoint.
We wish you a pleasant and hassle-free travel experience!
Online Check-in Guide:
The most efficient way to check in is online, and you can do so 24 hours before your flight departure. Here's how to make your check-in process quick and seamless:
Online Check-in (24 hours prior):
- Visit "Manage My Booking" online and print your boarding pass.
- Use the British Airways app to check in and download your boarding pass directly to your mobile device.
At the Airport:
- Upon arrival, proceed directly to the Bag Drop area located in Zones B, C, and D to check in your bags.
On the Day of Departure:
- For groups of more than nine people, utilize a check-in kiosk or visit the Group Check-in area in Zone E.
- If your child is traveling alone, please use the Family Check-in at Zone E. If the child is on a separate booking, visit a check-in desk at Zone F.
- Check the information screens to determine the check-in zone suitable for your flight.
Bag Drop Information:
If you have baggage to check in, follow these guidelines for a hassle-free experience:
Bag Drop Desks:
- Take your bags to a designated Bag Drop desk.
- These desks operate at specific times on the day of departure.
Overnight Bag Drop:
- Available for flights departing before 10:00.
- Check in your bags between 16:00 – 22:00 the day before.
- You can drop off bags for others traveling with you, provided they are on the same booking. Bring their passports and all required travel documents, including health tests.
- Once your baggage is checked in, retrieval is not possible, so ensure you have all necessary items before checking in.
Hand Baggage Guidelines:
- If you are traveling with hand baggage only and have already checked in, proceed straight through security to the gate.
- Note: If your hand baggage exceeds the allowance, you may need to check it in, and charges may apply.
We aim to make your journey with us as smooth as possible. Safe travels!
Online Check-in Guide:
Passport and Visa Checks:
For travelers on intercontinental flights, it is essential to undergo passport and visa verification before proceeding through security.
Baggage to Check In:
- Your passport and visa will be verified at a designated Bag Drop or Customer Service desk.
Hand Baggage Only:
- After checking in, visit a Passport and Visa Check desk before proceeding through security.
- Locate these desks at North or South Security checkpoints.
- Utilize self-service touchpoints for passport scanning or consult with an agent for assistance.
Ensuring a smooth verification process ensures a seamless journey. Thank you for your cooperation!
To ensure a timely departure, it's essential to enter airport security at least 35 minutes before your flight takes off.
Fast Track Security Lanes: Fast Track security lanes are accessible for the following passengers and their guests:
- Traveling in First, Club World, or Club Europe
- Executive Club Gold and Silver Members
- oneworld Emerald and Sapphire Members
For a smoother process, utilize the dedicated entrance to the left of North Security leading directly to the North Fast Track security lanes.
Photograph Verification for UK or Republic of Ireland Destinations:
- If your destination is within the UK or Republic of Ireland, your digital photograph will be taken at airport security.
- During boarding, the photograph will be checked for verification.
- After completion of checks, all photographs will be promptly deleted.
We appreciate your cooperation in maintaining a secure and efficient travel experience. Safe travels!
Book Heathrow airport parking in four easy steps
- The cheapest for parking from 1-7 days.
- The Medium for parking from 1 Week.
- PRO car parks: Good value for money
- Premium covered car parks in contact with terminal 1 & 2
Fast Track London
London's Heathrow Airport offers a Fast Track service so you can have a smoother experience to sail through security.
Fast Track Cairo
Get through Cairo Airport quickly and easily with Fast Track. Our service is designed to help you avoid long lines and save time.
Fast Track Melbourne
To avoid waiting in long queues, many flyers prearrange to use the Melbourne International airport in Melbourne (MEL) Meet & Greet service.